DBF Proud to Support The Raising Voices FellowshipPublished 11/01/2022
Dublin Book Festival is delighted to be a part of The Raising Voices Fellowship. The Raising Voices Fellowship aims to develop and support aspiring artists who make work for children and young adults and whose voices have been underrepresented in literature. Our aims are to break down barriers to publication, progression and inclusion and to increase diversity and representation in the Irish literature sector.
The Raising Voices Fellowship will commence in February 2022 and run until November 2022. Six writers and/or illustrators (fellows) will be selected for a programme of creative and practical supports.
This will include:
- Mentorship with an experienced writer or illustrator to provide creative and practical professional development support
- A week-long residency for the group at the Tyrone Guthrie Centre at Annaghmakerrig in early October 2022
- Bespoke speaker series – six one-hour online events to be co-programmed with fellows based on their needs
- A detailed critique from an editor or art director suited to the fellow’s practice
- Bursary information clinic with the Arts Council
- Attendance at events including Children’s Book Ireland’s Annual Conference and ProperBook publishing information event, selected relevant Publishing Ireland training courses, children’s/family events at Dublin Book Festival and Illustrators Ireland Open and Social meetings
- Opportunities to connect with the community at Children’s Books Irelands artist coffee mornings and other social events
- Ongoing connections with the partner organisations
The programme is designed to give fellows a robust understanding of key stakeholders in the sector as well as connecting them to a welcoming community of practice. It will give fellows all the tools, support and information they need to help them successfully navigate finalising a manuscript or dummy, preparing work for submission, researching the market, making professional connections, applying for bursaries etc.
We are conscious that fellows may face financial barriers. The fellowships are fully funded and included a stipend for the residential week to cover childcare/travel/loss of income as well as costs for meeting, travel and accommodation expenses where needed.
For further information and application form please go to: https://childrensbooksireland.ie/raising-voices-fellowship